Skip to main content

Stop Procrastinating

We all do it—at least some of the time. We put off doing things we need or want to get done.
Heck, I even wanted to put off writing this article.

As I write this, it is raining cats and dogs outside and I can loudly hear the silence of the agents on the floor, yeah, slow day today, 4th of July.

I also have a long list of other things to do.

How much do YOU procrastinate? Do you think you do it a lot or a little?

Here are 8 ideas from my great mentor, Mike Angier that will help you to get more of the right things done.

  1. First off, RECOGNIZE when you're procrastinating. All too often, we don’t even realize we're doing it. It's tempting to work on things that are more enjoyable. We can be busy, but we may be busy at things that are not the best use of our time. Hey, if you're going to procrastinate, at least enjoy it. CHOOSE to put something off and GOOF off.
  2. Commit to doing the unpleasant or difficult task for a short period of time. I will sometimes tell myself that I will work on X for 30 minutes. Once I'm started I have momentum and it's not uncommon to find myself several hours into a project that I had only committed to working on for half an hour.
  3. Make sure you really HAVE or WANT to do it. Our To-Do lists get longer all the time. Make sure you aren't just putting wishes on it. Does the item really HAVE to get done? Do you really want or need to get it done; or would it just be NICE to get it done? If not, dump it.
  4. Delegate it. Are you sure YOU have to do this thing? We can often find someone else to do what we have been putting off. And they can often do it for less and will enjoy doing what we don’t enjoy.
  5. Schedule a 'Get 'er Done Day' (or afternoon). Get a buddy to make a list of things they've put off and you make your own list. Call each other at the beginning of the agreed-upon time, share your lists and then go to work. Have a little celebration at the end of the time period--and maybe schedule another one. You can talk to your Supervisor and be her/his buddy and it’s best for both of you because you know that you are working on one and the same goal.
  6. Don't confuse the complicated with the difficult. Sometimes we put off doing something because we don’t know how or think we need more information. This can be the case, for sure. But many times we delude ourselves by thinking we need to know something when in actuality we are putting off doing the difficult. This could be a hard decision or an action that will likely be unpopular. If this is the case, acknowledge that you are indeed procrastinating (see item #1).
  7. Schedule it. Instead of having a task or project on your To-Do List, put it in your schedule as an appointment. And keep your appointment. You can still choose to put it off, but at least you will be doing it consciously (And you can "snooze" it).
  8. Make commitments--especially public ones. It's a lot harder to wiggle out of something when we've told someone we would do it. Your chances of overcoming procrastination are much better when you've stated what you will do. Part of the reason why I wrote this article is that I have a commitment to share useful, challenging, inspiring and practical information that has helped me a lot and might help other people too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fear and Forgiveness

It's my parent's 30th anniversary and our Brian's christening on Saturday where in spite busy schedule preparing everything for the visitors, i still think of Jacob.  I packed Beef Tapa and Pancit for him and even thinking of bringing him Salad for dessert.  We didn't have a good conversation after hours of waiting for him then he finally said we're not meeting up because he's not in the mood and he wants to stay at home and watch Initial D.  Then all of my insecurities and paranoia came out. I started thinking, just like what happened with Jeff, very similar indeed. He started confirming why he's sticking with me. He reminded me to stop counting the days and enjoy that we're together. I think his way of showing me that he likes me is seeing me everyday for dinner. Though i heard him said, "ano bang napapala ko pag pumupunta ko sayo? Kahit pagod ako nagpupunta pa din ako. Dapat maapreciate mo yun." I am not sure what that means but i just w...

The Mid-Year Crisis

I call it Mid-Year Crisis. And literally, this happens in the middle of the year. Have you been here: Anxious about the status of your career Panicky about your financial status which is directly correlated to your, uhuh, Career Forced to get married in the next two years because you're not getting any younger Fretting over time lost where you feel you've been completely unproductive yet you feel so tired and restless Pushing the panic button because at this month, you haven't really achieved anything from the goals you have listed at the start of this year Felt so alone and no one cares to listen because (a) You're too embarrassed to tell any of your friends (b) You know from past experiences that your friends won't care (c) They are also experiencing the same crisis Bring down the curtain and wind up that it is really hard to be successful in this life and it's just so hard to achieve your dreams so you better look for an alternative, Uhhmm, letting yourse...