Skip to main content

Delayed Reaction

On August 7, 2012, Philippine Government declared cancellation of work on public and private organization including BPOs and Call Center.

I am not sure if I'll be happy or not with the news, but with my over 7 years of stint in the industry, and tons of typhoons this country has experienced, this is the first time that the government is interfering with BPOs and Call Center's management.

I don't know exactly if they are cognizant how we work and how the operations work here but deciding and interfering just like that and making such comments "that people in the call centers don't care about their people" and "that they look at their people as waterproof", WE DON'T.

We definitely care for our people, and just like you, we prioritize their safety and we have the onus on whatever happens in this situation, we are still accountable.

MORE THAN GREED:

BPOs/ Call Centers cannot simply shut down operations at times like this. Not because we believe that our employees are not humans and waterproof. Not because we are afraid of losing money paid by our clients by the minute. Not because we think of ourselves highly that we do not want to take orders from the government.

We cannot just halt operations and send our staff home not
only because we are bound by contracts with our clients that state and promise consistent, quality service rain or shine, floods or without, what have you, what not, BUT:

If all BPOs here in the Philippines will follow the no-work memo from Malacanang, the effects will be global. The industry is currently servicing international banks and financial institutions, telecommunications companies, hospitals, cargo and shipping companies, these to name a few vital international business operations that are trusted in our capacity and skills. I am only talking about the global effects, I haven't even told you how horrible it would be to lose this industry to other countries.

Believe it or not, flooding in the Metro will only be seen as a LAME excuse for an abrupt stop in BPO operations.

So my advice is this and moving forward: If you think the roads leading to your office is impassable and will put your life and health at risk, THEN DON'T COME TO WORK. If you think you badly needed to go home to help scoop flood waters inside your house, then go home. Otherwise, THE SHOW MUST GO ON.

We appreciate all employees who reported to work for the past couple of days despite the bad weather and the organization has (i think) provided all options to ensure that safety and compensation is given.

Keep safe everyone!

Comments

  1. Kami nung time na yan, work-from-home kami.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you! all of us where still asked to come to work eh. there were incentives though but still..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fear and Forgiveness

It's my parent's 30th anniversary and our Brian's christening on Saturday where in spite busy schedule preparing everything for the visitors, i still think of Jacob.  I packed Beef Tapa and Pancit for him and even thinking of bringing him Salad for dessert.  We didn't have a good conversation after hours of waiting for him then he finally said we're not meeting up because he's not in the mood and he wants to stay at home and watch Initial D.  Then all of my insecurities and paranoia came out. I started thinking, just like what happened with Jeff, very similar indeed. He started confirming why he's sticking with me. He reminded me to stop counting the days and enjoy that we're together. I think his way of showing me that he likes me is seeing me everyday for dinner. Though i heard him said, "ano bang napapala ko pag pumupunta ko sayo? Kahit pagod ako nagpupunta pa din ako. Dapat maapreciate mo yun." I am not sure what that means but i just w...

Happy Birthday Argie!

I know I don’t always show it, but you are the best thing that ever happened to me. Let’s make your birthday the special celebration it should be, and I’ll remind you just how much you mean to me. Happy happy birthday! 😍😘🎂🎉🎁😃 posted from Bloggeroid