Skip to main content

Visita Iglesia 2011: My 7 Churches and Memories

It's been a Filipino tradition during Holy Thursday to visit seven churches as penance. It has now been expanded where people also get to say the Stations of the Cross. Never did I do that, and this year, I decided to spend the rest of the day visiting churches, reflect and pray.

I spent the day with Tina, a good friend, going from one churches to another. The experience was not just about praying to God and asking for forgiveness and thanking Him for his glory and gratefulness, but also reminiscing a wonderful experience I had had for the last 28 years of existence.


1. Padre Pio Church, Libis, Quezon City

Tina has been a devotee of this Church and has always visited this every Sunday. The place was serene, air conditioned and I would say, intended for those with sickness and needs healing. They have wheel chairs readily available for those in need. And I thought, my brother needs it.

2. Holy Family Chapel, Eastwood, Quezon City


I remember Meliza, an old friend from WNS, once told me that this church has brought her a lot of answered prayers. This is where she hears mass every Sunday together with her first boyfriend, now husband. The chapel was just across 1880 building where I used to work, where I had a lot of memories, struggles, pains and happiness.

3. St. Claire Monastery, Katipunan, Quezon City

The place is known for its praying nuns and offertory eggs. It is believed that St. Claire is a miraculous saint and answers prayer requests (in written form) of its devotees. Lee, one our friends, always go to this place whenever she wants peace of mind and prayer requests. I have had my share of prayer requests where I had to offer eggs too. I am thinking of doing that again regularly for my brother.

4. St. Joseph Parish, Anonas, Quezon City


I have personally witnessed how this church have evolved from an ordinary church to this fabulous one. This is where I have grown as a child and where we always go to every Sunday. I remember it was a Sunday habit to wake up early around 7am, have breakfast together with the family and go to church at 9am. We will then drop by Aunt Fe's house in Guijo St., where it is just a walking distance. This is where I learned Anima Christi and dreamt of becoming choir member, yeah, only in my dreams.

5. Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish Church, Kamuning, Quezon City

It was in High School when we always go in this church with friends. Awit ng Paghahangad was our favorite church song then and Alma sings it very well. This is where I had my first recollection, it was Father Arlo who facilitated that and it was him who preached us on our graduation mass as well. It was truly memorable and inspiring.

6. Christ the King Parish Church, E. Rodriguez Sr, Quezon City


I remember in High School, during our Values Education class, a couple of boys visits our class and teaches us some verses from the bible. They were from Christ the King, studying Theology, yeah, they were the ones who wanted to become a priest. I remember Kuya Arvin that time was very sweet and thoughtful. He went to our class every Thursday and teaches us a lesson. It was interesting though that Kuya Arvin was Ate Lany's elder brother. Ate Lany was my roomie in UP Breha back in College.

7. Immaculate Conception Parish Church, Cubao, Quezon City

This is were Tina and I recited the Stations of the Cross. Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross; in Latin, Via Crucis; also called the Via Dolorosa or Way of Sorrows, or simply, The Way) refers to the depiction of the final hours (or Passion) of Jesus, and the devotion commemorating the Passion. There were 14 pictures or sculpture depicting different scenes from Jesus's condemnation to death to His resurrection.

More than the thought of going to these churches and my down the memory lane experience, is my heart-felt prayer for my brother's healing and recovery. Jude was diagnosed with Pott's disease, they say it is a presentation of extrapulmonary tuberculosis that affects the spine, a kind of tuberculous arthritis of the intervertebral joints. The doctor said he needs to undergo an operation where his spine needs to be replaced, and put a metal is it will be secure. The operation would last for 8 hours and requires complete bed rest for his recovery. We need to prepare or metal that would be used which costs, PHP160,000 to PHP220,000, on top of the hospitalization and professional fees we have to take care of. Above all the things that we need to worry about, what I really want to make is my brother's recovery.

Strength and good health for my parents. I pray for their understanding and acceptance on my brother's situation and that they will be able to survive and cope. Shy away from any kind of sickness and be strong for our family.

I pray for my program's success and for my career, and that I'd be able to reap more rewards for the team, to help me achieve my goals.

I pray for more wisdom that I will be strong for my family and friends who need me. I pray for my lifetime partner to come, and for me to be prepared when he arrives.

Comments

  1. Prayers for your brother and your family...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fear and Forgiveness

It's my parent's 30th anniversary and our Brian's christening on Saturday where in spite busy schedule preparing everything for the visitors, i still think of Jacob.  I packed Beef Tapa and Pancit for him and even thinking of bringing him Salad for dessert.  We didn't have a good conversation after hours of waiting for him then he finally said we're not meeting up because he's not in the mood and he wants to stay at home and watch Initial D.  Then all of my insecurities and paranoia came out. I started thinking, just like what happened with Jeff, very similar indeed. He started confirming why he's sticking with me. He reminded me to stop counting the days and enjoy that we're together. I think his way of showing me that he likes me is seeing me everyday for dinner. Though i heard him said, "ano bang napapala ko pag pumupunta ko sayo? Kahit pagod ako nagpupunta pa din ako. Dapat maapreciate mo yun." I am not sure what that means but i just w...

The Mid-Year Crisis

I call it Mid-Year Crisis. And literally, this happens in the middle of the year. Have you been here: Anxious about the status of your career Panicky about your financial status which is directly correlated to your, uhuh, Career Forced to get married in the next two years because you're not getting any younger Fretting over time lost where you feel you've been completely unproductive yet you feel so tired and restless Pushing the panic button because at this month, you haven't really achieved anything from the goals you have listed at the start of this year Felt so alone and no one cares to listen because (a) You're too embarrassed to tell any of your friends (b) You know from past experiences that your friends won't care (c) They are also experiencing the same crisis Bring down the curtain and wind up that it is really hard to be successful in this life and it's just so hard to achieve your dreams so you better look for an alternative, Uhhmm, letting yourse...